Welcome to My Blog about Living with Hydrocephalus

I've been living with hydrocephalus all my life. My hope is to bring awareness to other people about this disease. I hope you enjoy my blogs!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Support for Living with Hydrocephalus

Living with hydrocephalus has been challenging. I’ve had to go through so much when trying to figure out about my shunt and if it’s working or not. For example, when I’m not able to eat and my head hurts, my shunt might not be working. If they had better tools to diagnose it, it would be easier to figure out what’s going on. Right now, they don’t have a lot of good tests to tell if there’s something not working. They won’t see me until it’s really bad and a lot of times I end up in the emergency room. The doctors need to have better training to diagnose shunt failure. There needs to be more doctors that can treat shunt failure.

The government makes it hard to get good medical care if you have to cross state lines. You have to go through all the approvals to go out of state. If it’s an emergency you don’t have time to do that. It would help if families could help more without taking away other insurance. The government needs to have funding to do more research into treating hydrocephalus. They also need to have funding for mental health services. It is a common thing for people with disabilities to be depressed or have other problems with emotions.

Shunts are fairly new, so there haven't been a lot of studies on the effects of having shunts. There has been more information on learning problems that a lot of people with hydrocephalus have. The information has not gotten through to schools, so a lot of students do not get the help they need or are not diagnosed correctly. Most kids with hydrocephalus do not meet the criteria to get into special education.

6 comments:

  1. Our medical technology is always improving, and whenever a new thing has been introduced, all of the experienced doctors become a little more obsolete as more and more things are made effective that they didn't learn in medical school.

    Given those options, I would say the argument about giving more funding to mental health services would be more aplicable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good argument going here. It is very interesting learning about the things you know. I hope something can get resolved with the issue of there not being enough funding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well look at there. I already commented on yours. I think you have a good argument going. it needs to be a bit longer though, as does mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're in the right direction with your argument. If you don't mind I have a suggestion for what you could direct your argument at.
    I was thinking you could go towards why governments don't have the funds for some physical conditions, and what they could change in spending to make room for new research. You could also cover what the new health care bill will do for people with hydrocephalus, and what the pros and con's are.

    I also included a little constructive criticism for when you do the final draft.

    "If they had better tools to”
    If there were. It’s a little confusing to read "they" when there isn't a group targeted beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree i have been shunted since i was 15 and am now 28 but have always had to make sure i had medical insurence som way or the other esp whe. Jobs dont cover right away and having to pay extra for contiued insurence so that it doesnt become a pre existing condition that they wont cover...but i have been very blessed as well....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete