Welcome to My Blog about Living with Hydrocephalus

I've been living with hydrocephalus all my life. My hope is to bring awareness to other people about this disease. I hope you enjoy my blogs!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Shunting

When people are diagnosed with hydrocephalus, they put a tube called a shunt in to drain the extra fluid off. They can be in the brain or in the spine. Usually, it drains into the abdomen. It can also drain into the heart, lungs, ureter, or gallbladder. If they find out about it before the person's born, they put the shunt in when they're 2 days old.

A surgical cut is made behind the ear. There is another one in the abdomen. The doctor drills a small hole in the skull. There is a small tube that is put into the ventricle. The other end of the shunt tube is placed in the abdomen.

There are some different types of shunts. There is a Delta valve that helps prevent the shunt from taking too much off. There is a Medium Pressure Cylindrical valve which may lead to uneven drainage from the ventricles. They also have the Nulsen and Spitz valve. This was the first mass produced valve that they used to treat hydrocephalus. This contains two ball-valve units connected with a spring. It does not have an adjustable pressure setting. They can put an Anti-Siphon device in to help so the shunt doesn't take too much off. The Sigma valve operates on a flow-control mechanism. The other valves have a pressure-control system. This can be changed without being programmed or surgically changed.

There are some risks with having shunts placed. There can be bleeding in the brain or brain swelling. The shunt could get infected. There may be an infection in the brain or damage to the brain tissue. The person may also have seizures. The shunt can take too much off. It can also become blocked on either end.

People should not have anything to eat or drink for 6 hours before the surgery. They can have clear liquids up to 4 hours before the surgery. Babies under one year old can have formula, cereal, or baby food until 6 hours before surgery. They also can have clear liquids up to 4 hours before the surgery.

6 comments:

  1. I love that you are so specific. I must admit that at first I had know idea what Hydrocephalus was but after reading your blog for the last couple of weeks I understand a little better. I am excited to learn more about it and am positive I will in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds sort of terrifying though you are being very medical--void of emotion--in your writing. Make sure you give credit to any sources you may have used. From what I do know of you though, you have probably read so much on this subject that you are able to recall a lot of this info from memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too like the extreme detail you put in your writing. Like I had said before my brother has a shunt and I had NO idea all the things that come along with having one. Just remember that when you get to the end of your writing to make sure you conclude it so it seem like there is supposed to be more in that blog. Other than that you are doing an excellent job. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make it really easy to imagine everything you write about, and while that says really good things about your writing ability, it always makes me uncomfortable, and I can almost feel it happening to me as I read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The procedures sound so scarey. Very nice detail. You must be very brave. It is crazy the things they can do to try and help though.I really like your writting. You always keep me so interested!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete