Welcome to My Blog about Living with Hydrocephalus

I've been living with hydrocephalus all my life. My hope is to bring awareness to other people about this disease. I hope you enjoy my blogs!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Diagnosing Problems

There are several different tests that they can do to see if somebody is having problems. CT scans show pictures of the brain so they can see if there is any change in the size of the ventricles.

MRIs use magnets to get a picture of the brain. They can see more details of what is happening in the brain. They put you in a tube that's completely closed in to take the pictures. I can't have MRIs any more. The shunts that I have are magnetic and it will change the pressure on my brain.

Sometimes they monitor the intercranial pressure. When they do it in La Crosse, they put the monitor on the outside of the body. With the shunts they put in when I went to Chicago, there's a piece on the shunt that they use to check the pressure. They have a piece that I carry with me that they can get the information downloaded onto a laptop. I also can rub it over the piece on the shunt if I'm having problems and that will show on the laptop, too.

They can do a radioactive isotope to see if the shunt is draining. They inject it into the shunt valve and watch to see if there's any movement. Sometimes it will go through right away. When I've had these done usually there will be no movement. They have me sit up and it goes down right away. If there is no movement at all they know that the shunt is plugged.

They also do x-rays to see if the shunt tube is broken. The pictures will show if there is a problem.

Sometimes physical therapists can do a different test to see how tight the muscles are. They check on the arms and legs to see how everything's working. They have a scale to rate how tight it is. If they can move it without problems it is rated at zero. It can go up to four if it is really tight.

9 comments:

  1. I can not imagine what it would be like to have all of these tests done. I am terrified of being closed in small places and would probaly not do so well in the MRI machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is it decided which method will be used? Does your insurance choose, do the doctors, or do you?

    Do you go in for regular checkups and have these tests, or only when there already are problems that need to be diagnosed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of big words! What are shunts and can you feel them? How often do you have to go to the doctor? It is crazy with all the technology there is out there. It is cool that they can tell what is happening on a lap top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is so educational! It is fascinating what technology is capable of. Which muscles are effected, and how?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like a scary process, all the checkups and scans. You really have to be strong willed to do all those things you were talking about. I know I couldn't, but that’s just my fear of hospitals.
    It really amazes me how many different types of technology there are to help people out.

    I really like your writing, I'm excited to hear more about the technical side of your life, it’s very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is really sad the things that you have to go through just to live as normal a life as possible. I know where your coming from because my brother who is a couple years older than me has a shunt. He was born with Scoliosis and Cerebral Palsy. Your post was really educational. I didn't know these were all the things you could do with a shunt. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The technology truly is amazing. What's also amazing is that you and your family continue to deal with all of it--good and bad. Grammatically solid, informational and great personal feel to your posts, Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete