Welcome to My Blog about Living with Hydrocephalus

I've been living with hydrocephalus all my life. My hope is to bring awareness to other people about this disease. I hope you enjoy my blogs!

Monday, March 8, 2010

The Music In My Life

I started taking piano lessons the summer before I went into fourth grade. That quickly became a very important release for me when I was having a hard time with emotions. I would sit at the piano and just play. Within a few minutes after I started playing my anger or frustrations would be almost gone.

When I went into fourth grade, I started playing viola. That turned out to be my favorite instrument of them all. I played with the 7th grade in 6th grade. I was in Philharmonic Youth Symphony in 7th grade. That would be a very big part of my life.

When I was in 6th grade, I started playing the French horn. I joined the Jazz Band in 7th grade. Playing that would be my escape for hours. I never sang.

I had a stroke during surgery in the beginning of 8th grade. I woke up with my left side completely paralyzed and I could no longer play any of my instruments. After that, I had to find a way to channel my love for music into a love for singing. The choir director’s husband at Good Shepherd sat by me one day at worship service. He told her to talk to me about joining the choir. I joined the choir the next time it started again. While I was in the hospital, the choir director of my church and her husband often came to visit me. That gave me hope and really helped in my recovery. I look to some of the people I sing with as family. Joan, for instance, has become a very close friend of mine. She has helped me when I start having problems with my shunts and has always been one that I can talk to. We look to each other as sisters. There have been times where she would call me and she'd pick me up, just the two of us, and we'd do lunch or go shopping. She's one person I'm grateful to have in my life and a friendship I truly cherish. I can't believe the support and friends I've mad through this experience.

The first choir director stopped doing that after my first year. They had some college students that did it for a while after that. Everybody liked that a lot. We were able to have a lot of fun with them. After they both graduated, one of their instructors became the choir director. We had a very hard time with the change. She would be getting on us with every little thing. She would be saying, "no, no. It has to be this way," while tapping the beat. It has gotten a lot better, but we still have times that it can get very hard.

Today, I enjoy singing solos. I get things set up for solos every few months. I picked out songs to sing for solos when my Pa Pa and Uncle John died to do in their memory. I enjoy singing and listening to more traditional kinds of music like Whitney Houston. In fact,one of her songs, "One Moment in Time", really fits what I feel.

"I broke my heart
Fought every gain
To taste the sweet
I face the pain
I rise and fall
Yet through it all
This much remains"

This verse sums up really everything for me. When I go through tough times those words just fill my heart. I also like listening to Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson, and the Beatles just to name a few.

I bought a keyboard and started taking lessons on that. A friend called me and told me about these keyboards that you can do chords on with one or two fingers. Not long after I bought the keyboard, I was back to having that escape and release from all my frustrations. To this day, I still play quite a bit. I'm looking at possibly doing one of my solos with the keyboard. It just feels so good to be able to have my music back in my life again.

6 comments:

  1. This really touched me. It seems like your life thrives with music, even with you disability making it that much more difficult; I really envy your compassion.
    I think its funny how playing piano relieves your frustration, normally when I practice piano I get frustrated and give up, which is most likely why I am a horrible pianist, haha.
    On top of the subject you chose, I really liked the writing. It really tugged on my emotions, and made me think of how precious everything in life is.
    I'm glad you found singing as a form of music to enjoy, I was thinking you would be interested in mixing music. You can really have fun playing with your voice in some music programs on the computer.
    The only think I can think for you to add on your "final draft" would be what kind of music you like to play, and why you enjoy it.
    I'm anxious to see what other stories you share with us in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a passionate story! I think you do a very good job at writing. I got the point that you like music and it helps you when you are having a rough time. Music is such a magical medicine for some people. You sound so talented! I thought it was hard learning how to play the clarinet in middle school, and here you learned how to play three different instruments. I would love to hear you sing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly an inspiration. I have seen so many people with disabilities become angry and bitter. I think it is fantastic that you found a constructive way to channel some of your frustrations.
    Your writing is very good. I would also be interested to know what kind of music you play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job describing the emotional connection you have to your music. The only thing I would suggest is maybe adding a last paragraph that would consolidate your points.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That seems really intense. I cant imagine what that must of been like for you. Everything you ever liked, it seemed like something was trying to take that away from you. But in the end you still seemed to pull through and still do what you love to be doing..playing music. I hope that every day you get to do what it is that you love doing.
    The only thing with your essay that you might want to work on is making it a little longer. Overall you meet the above requirments. Good writting and good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sara,
    Your honesty is possibly what gives your writing most of it's strength. You are fairly matter-of-fact about something that many people would regard as so traumatic that they can't find the words to explain. I know you've had years to come to terms with the challenges in your life but as many of your readers are suggesting, the fact that you have come to terms with them, and have done so with such grace, THIS is what people find inspirational.
    You have constructed a well organized narrative that focuses around two central points--a love of music--and a need to redefine that love of performance. You have described how you were able to find a new musical outlet out of necessity and have sited helpers along the way. I'd like to know more. When I read this, I'd like to see a little piece of dialogue between you and the choir director--showing us your relationship. I'd like to read more about the relationships you have formed in the choir. I'd like to read more about what it feels like to sing--a SOLO, no less!

    What does this all mean? Well it means that you are a captivating writer who has a story to tell. If you decide to revise, I would love to see more details--like the ones I mentioned above.

    Also, I might like to visit your church to hear you sing! What would you think of that? If you would be O.K. with it, maybe you'll use the blog to let us know about your solos. Up to you!

    ReplyDelete