Welcome to My Blog about Living with Hydrocephalus

I've been living with hydrocephalus all my life. My hope is to bring awareness to other people about this disease. I hope you enjoy my blogs!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Emotions

After I had my stroke, my mom set me up with a counselor in Teen Health. Janet has been with me through everything. She will sit and just hold me. I have had a lot of times that we would sit and I would cry on her shoulder. She helps me a lot when I keep going in for surgery.

Janet has become a good friend of mine. She takes me to Symphony concerts. She takes me out for breakfast for my birthday. She got me to volunteer at Options Clinic where she works. She knows how hard it is for me to communicate, so she finds different ways to get things out. She's making it easier for me to say things.

I have a psychotherapist who has worked in different ways than any other people that I've seen before. I started seeing John after Teen Health combined with other services. He finds other ways to get the feelings out other than just talking. We use paint, music, humor, and inspirational stories. He will sit and just let me cry.

I have some music and paint that I use at my house. If I start having problems with emotions that really helps me a lot. I'm finding more things that I can do so I don't have as hard a time controlling the emotions. I have started going to the Wellness Center. The exercising has helped a lot with things too.

I have a hard time remembering things. They taught me to journal. I have a notebook that both of them write in when I see them. I can go back and read through everything when I'm at home. We also have started using e-mail in between appointments so I can tell them if there's anything happening in my life.

4 comments:

  1. It seems like a tough road that you're on, but at least you're making the best of it!
    I think painting is a great way to get frustration out, and other art is too. Maybe you should try clay spinning sometime, it can get really messy, but its tons of fun.
    I like the writing, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem like a very strong woman. It sounds like you go through tough situations, but luckily you have people to help you through those hard times. I think it is so cool that you like art. I love art. What kind of paintings do you like to do? Music is my medicine when I am stressed or mad too. I like all different types of music, everything from country to rap. What kind of music do you like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing fabulously with this blog, Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete