Welcome to My Blog about Living with Hydrocephalus

I've been living with hydrocephalus all my life. My hope is to bring awareness to other people about this disease. I hope you enjoy my blogs!

Monday, February 22, 2010

Hydrocephalus

Hydrocephalus is a condition where the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) doesn't drain off the brain like it should. The doctors have to put a tube called a shunt in to drain the extra CSF off.

I had a brain hemorrhage when I was born that caused me to develop hydrocephalus. They put my first shunt in when I was 4 months old. I have had a lot of problems as a result of it. I have had surgery close to 100 times because of it.

I had a stroke during surgery when I was 13. When I came out of the surgery I woke up and was completly paralyzed on my left side. Because of the stroke, the doctors were unable to place the shunt, and I was back in surgery 9 days later.

I'm writing this blog because I want to be able to inform people of what hydrocephalus is and how it affects my body and my life. I've spent my life enjoying music. Before my stroke I was playing piano, viola, and french horn. Today, I am involved with my church choir and have done some solos. I also enjoy dabbling on the keyboard.

2 comments:

  1. I am very interested in learning more about hydrocephalus. I admire people who embrace life despite challenges that have presented themselves. You have faced more than your share of challenges as they relate to this condition. I think we can all learn a great deal from you and I look forward to your posts! Also, I am interested to hear more about your love of music and how you have been able to incorporate it into your life in new ways. This blog topic is a very brave one for you to pursue and mirrors your personal bravery, dedication and steadfast determination to live life to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete