Welcome to My Blog about Living with Hydrocephalus

I've been living with hydrocephalus all my life. My hope is to bring awareness to other people about this disease. I hope you enjoy my blogs!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Medical Professionals

There are several medical professionals that people with hydrocephalus have to see. If you are diagnosed with hydrocephalus, you will have to see a pediatrician when you are growing up. The pediatrician can help to find out if you're having any problems. Later on, you would have to visit a general physician when you're older. This person will check everything out to make sure you are healthy and everything is checking out.

A lot of times people with hydrocephalus will see a neurologist. That person will watch to see if you are having seizures. They also will watch to see how the body is working. When the neurologist tests for the seizures, they hook you up to an EEG which will determine how your brain waves are working.

You will akso have a neurosurgeon to watch how the shunt is working. They will do surgery to put a shunt in and any revisions if you start having problems. If you have to have surgery, you will have to meet with an anesthesiologist before the surgery, as well. That person will be in the surgery to keep the person asleep during the surgery. If you have local anesthesia, you are still awake but you are numb.

There are physician's assistants and nurses that can meet with you. They can follow your case so they can get things figured out if something's going on. Generally, the nurses and physician's assistants are very knowledgable on hydrocephalus in the department. I meet with the nurses to discuss my medicine pump and I call them first if I start having any sorts of problems.

Sometimes you will have to see occupational and physical therapists. They will find ways for you to be able to do things by yourself. They will come up with exercises to help get your body to work so you can keep the muscles relaxed. There are rehab doctors that can help watch if your having problems.

As you can see, there are several doctors you have to meet with if you are diagnosed with hydroceohalus. It can be frustrating at times but it is also comforting to know that there are so many people there to help you.

4 comments:

  1. Your rough draft doesn't have a clear thesis statement, nor does it seem to be arguing against or for anything (don't misunderstand me, it's interesting to read, nonetheless)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, very very informative and interesting, but there is no argument.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting, but I am not getting what the argument is about. The third paragraph down the third letter I think you meant to put ‘also.’ You have an interesting topic. Maybe you could argue about what doctor is the best to see or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete